Cyber Crime - Maitri Ratnam - VIII-C
The most common problem faced by us: Cybercrime
“At the end of the day, the goals are simple: safety and security”. This line was said by Jodi Rell. This line is so true in our lives. Nothing is more important than safety and security. Today we are going to address one of the most common problems: Cybercrime. We use computer and other electronic devices almost everyday. So, let’s understand what is cybercrime.
What is Cyber Crime?
Cybercrime is the greatest threat to a computer. It is a criminal act that either targets or uses a computer, a computer network or a networked device. It might be carried by a single person or an organization. Cybercrime either aims to damage users for profit, political or personal reasons. Some cybercrimes are targeted on one person, others are performed randomly (whoever falls to their prey). Some well-known examples of cybercrime malware attacks, phishing, e-mail spoofing, cyber stalking, etc.
What are the types of Cybercrime?
There are various types of cybercrime. They may be email and internet fraud, identity fraud, financial or card payment data, theft and sale of corporate data, cyber extortion, crypto jacking or cyberespionage.
How to protect ourselves from cybercrime?
Now we come to the most important part which most of us don’t follow- How to protect ourselves from cybercrime. We should always keep our electronic devices safe and secure. As one small mistake is only needed for a hacker to cause a cybercrime. A computer without a lock is like calling hackers to hack our computer.
There are 5 important ways to protect ourselves from cybercrime.
- We should use an anti-virus software and keep it updated.
- We should keep strong passwords.
- Another important way in which hackers harm our devices is by sending document and links which when opened will download malwares in your computer. So don’t open links and documents sent by a sender which you don’t know.
- Do not give personal information.
- If you are asked for data by a company who has called you, hang up the call. Call them by the number given in the official website.
- Make sure you follow all these given steps and no hacker will be able to cause any harm to you or your devices.